The Fishing Is Hot If You Know Where To

Sunday, June 1, 2014

The fishing is hot right now depending on what you are fishing for.

This weekend was great for ladyfish but not so for redfish or gator sea trout.

I didn't do much serious fishing this past weekend but I did manage to catch some nice ladyfish and stir up a couple of small Tarpon in the Mosquito Lagoon.

I only fished an hour or so Friday evening when I got home from work and a couple of hours late Saturday in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Friday I specifically targeted ladyfish and managed to score a half dozen or so in and around East Gator Creek road.

I caught most of them on a ZMann Paddler Z rigged on a 1/2 oz. jig head.   The fish loved the bait when fished super fast or skipped across the sea grass in the shallows.

As it got closer to dusk, I switched to a topwater Skitterwalk and picked up two more ladyfish and missed a nice size sea trout.  The sea trout hit the topwater plug as it was sitting "lifeless" on the surface.

Saturday afternoon I was after anything but only scored on ladyfish and a small sea trout.

I missed a small Tarpon just off the ICW in the Mosquito Lagoon on a DOA Bait Buster while wading and spooked three nice redfish in the clear shallows on a gold Johnson's Sprite spoon.

Unfortunately the fish I jumped Saturday all had lockjaw and refused my baits.

My buddy Jason and his friend did much better on the Indian River than I did, as you can see by the pics below.

 
  

He said he saw several large schools of  big Bull Redfish  and caught these on live mullet.

He was skipping mullet to the schools on the edge of the grass flats were they meet up with the big bare sandy patches. 

I need to start fishing live baits more often!

Till nest time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: