Redfish In The Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Although the redfish in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge that are being caught are mostly above the slot, there are still many that can be taken home for dinner.

This past week has been killer for reds in the refuge for anglers using live or cut baits and arfiticials when the conditions are right.

These pics below were taken last Thursday in the refuge by my friend Jason Cooper of Sarah with a 25" redfish (her first red ever) and a 32 1/2" red.


Sarah's 25" Red
Sarah's 32 1/2" Red

Both fish were caught in the Indian River shallows on large live mullet.

They also nailed a nice 24" sea trout on this trip using live finger mullet for bait.  I didn't get the pic but I'm sure you all have seen plenty of trout pics.

April in both of our lagoons is a peak time for gator sea trout and large redfish.  These pics prove the point.



When I get my truck back from the shop and I take my wife out to the refuge on our next trip, I may get her to start fishing with live finger mullet. 

She loves to fish fresh dead jumbo shrimp under a Cajun Thunder float.

Unfortunately when the mullet pods move into the river in the early spring, the bigger fish target the mullet and often let a perfectly good shrimp lie on the bottom.

My wife has the patience of a Saint when it comes to fishing and she doesn't mind waiting for hours on a bite.

I on the other hand DO NOT!

I'll stick to my tried and proven gold Johnson's Sprite spoons, Chug Bugs and soft plastic baits.

Till next time, Tight Lines.




0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: