March Winds For Sea Trout

Sunday, March 16, 2014

The March winds were blowing this afternoon making for some tough casting,  but March winds for sea trout can make for some of the best fishing of the year.

I didn't get out this afternoon until 5:30 pm and that was a spur of the moment thing.

I packed several spinning rods and decided to bring along the unused shrimp I unsuccessfully fished with yesterday, just in case I spotted some tailing reds or black drum.

I was fishing Peacocks Pocket Road primarily on the marsh side.  The Indian River side of the road was too windy for me to bother with.

The air temperature was 78 degrees when I left the house and there was a steady wind blowing out of the south making for some great wind surfing.  I picked up on this as soon as I hit the top of the bridge and saw all the multicolored para-sails.





There were tons of people taking advantage of the March winds on their boards and a few more trying their luck on the leeward side of the causeway.

 

I started fishing with a Berkley paddle tail swimbait smeared up with some Pro-Cure scent.

The wind made it hard to detect a bite and I missed at least a half dozen fish before I finally landed a nice fat 16" sea trout. 

I was going to take the fish home for dinner but I decided to release it instead.

The stretch of the canal that I had been fishing provided me with three more sea trout of the same general size before the bite slowed down and I decided to move on up the road.

I had hits at almost every stop I made, but the wind made it tough to get hook ups. 

I lost three more fish before I picked up the last sea trout of the day.  The fish was just under size, so I released it along with the other fish I caught this afternoon.

There were tons of waterfowl in the refuge this evening along with a lot of visitors watching them.


I saw only two other guys fishing with finger mullet on the river side this afternoon, but I didn't bother asking them if they had any luck.  They were busy cutting up a mullet for bait when I passed them.

As I got close to Bobcat Bay, I tossed the swimbait out on the river side to a swirl I happened to see and promptly got a hookup with a small snook. 

The little snook jumped twice before tossing the bait back to me.

Although I stopped at a couple more spots on the way out of the refuge, the small snook was the last fish of the day.

I flipped out the fresh dead shrimp at two small pond areas today, but never got a hit on them. 

Today plastic baits were the ticket.

As I headed back to the house, I took several pics of the waterfowl.

This guy eyeballed me to death, so I had to get his pic.

Fishing the March winds for sea trout can be productive but you almost need a sixth sense to detect a strike when fishing with artificial baits. 

Till next time, Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: