Fishless Superbowl Afternoon

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Well today was a fishless superbowl afternoon to say the least.

My wife finally felt well enough after her hernia operation to get out of the house and go fishing with me.

We decided to take Elmo and Odie along to give them some "fun time" and see if there was any action in the refuge.

I took Karen past East Gator Creek road and entered the eastern most entrance of the refuge towards the kayak launch.

The weather was beautiful this afternoon. There were no clouds in the sky, the air temperature was 82 degrees and there was a slight breeze blowing.  A perfect day to get


We didn't get out until around 2:30 pm and I didn't really expect to catch much.

Like yesterday, there was a lot of vehicle traffic in the refuge and for the most part we had to keep Elmo and Odie in the truck.


We stopped at several spots that looked promising but the only thing we caught all day was a "mud minnow" on a small spoon that I was tossing around the banks of the marsh canal.



I fished a variety of lures to cover all the water column and Karen fished peeled jumbo shrimp and eventually the mud minnow that I caught.

I spotted a couple of black drum tooling down the marsh canal but other than those fish and some large mullet, we didn't spot any redfish or sea trout in either the marsh or the Indian River.

For February, that is very unusual in this area. Especially since I have been getting some positive fishing reports from the local guides.

Anyway, Elmo and Odie had a good time and so did Karen.

We fished until around 5:30 pm when we both decided to call it a day.

Next weekend, I plan on getting out earlier before the vehicle traffic puts the fish down.

Till then, Tight Lines.



0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: