An Unproductive Afternoon In The Marsh

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Well, it turned out to be a very unproductive afternoon in the marsh.

I didn't get to go fishing today until around 4:00 pm and the weather was beautiful.

The air temperature was in the low 80s and there was only a hint of a breeze over the Indian River and marsh areas of the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

I was hoping for a couple of redfish this afternoon, but as it turned out, I got skunked!

The baits of choice this afternoon were a topwater Chug Bug, a gold
Nemire Red Ripper Spoon Lure
, and a DOA CAL jerkbait.

For the most part I concentrated on fishing likely looking spots in the grassy areas with the Nemire spoon but there were no telltale signs of fish today anywhere.

All the time I was out on Peacocks Pocket road I never saw a tailing red or any fish busting baits of any type.

I fished hard and several vehicles passed me by but there were only two other people fishing the area other than myself.

As I was flipping my Red Ripper into a likely looking area in the marsh, a wildlife ranger drove up to watch me fish.


I walked over to talk to him about the conditions and he told me that nobody today was catching any fish.

He wished me luck as he departed and I continued casting until it started getting dark and the mosquitoes became unbearable.

As I was driving out of Peacocks Pocket road, I saw a couple of fishermen in their truck getting ready to leave the refuge.

I stopped to ask if they were doing any good and they told me that they caught only one small sea trout but the other guy landed a 31" redfish on a DOA shrimp.  In fact the wildlife ranger even netted the fish for the guy.

The spot where he caught the red was the same area where I picked up a couple of reds last weekend.

I knew I should have started fishing from the other end of Peacocks Pocket road!

 

Anyway, the scenery was awesome as usual and tomorrow is another day plus,  my wife wants to come along.

Till then, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: