Almost Got Skunked!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Well, almost got skunked yesterday evening but a couple of small sea trout and a lady kept my record clean.

As usual, I got out late on Friday and headed for Peacocks Pocket road as soon as I unpacked my truck and loaded up the rods.

I headed towards a small pond where I saw some fish activity and started casting gold spoons into the glassy water.

The air temperature was 83 degrees when I started fishing and there was no wind on the water.

As I was tossing around my spoon, Jason Cooper pulled up and started chatting about the fishing.  He had some jumbo shrimp in a bag hooked up to an airstone to keep them healthy and was scouting out spots to duck hunt.

As we were talking, the Goodyear blimp made a pass across Catfish Creek as it was heading south. 

I didn't think about taking a pic until it was too late and almost out of sight so I kept on fishing.

Jason took off and I headed up to another spot on the Indian River side of the road where I caught a red last weekend.

Nothing was taking my spoon so I moved to a top water Heddon Jr.and started blind casting both sides of the road.

I was just about to move on up the road when a small sea trout hit the plug and flipped off.  Several casts later and I got a hookup with a small ladyfish that shook off the plug.

I almost got skunked but I still hadn't landed a fish until another small sea trout hit the plug on the Indian River side of the road.

After a brief  tussle, I unhooked the fish and returned it to the marsh side of the road.

I was getting killed by gnats so I moved up to where my wife likes to fish for reds.

I made several unfruitful casts without even a follow up so I changed back to the Tsunami gold weedless spoon.

Just before I was ready to call it a day and admit defeat, I spotted a nice redfish cruising up the marsh canal.


I shot a cast above where the fish was headed and let the spoon sit on the bottom until the fish was within "eating" range.

As I lifted the rod tip the redfish hit the lure and took off up the shallow canal.  The 8# Cajun line I had on this outfit was peeling off the spinning reel until the fish decided to swim around a small grassy island.

I tried to keep up with the fish and was walking quickly down the road when the fish swam around the island and broke off my spoon.

Needless to say, I was a very unhappy camper.  The red was the only decent fish of the day and it took one of my favorite spoons.

I reeled in the line and as another nasty bloodthirsty gnat took advantage of my body, I decided to head for home and call it a day.

I almost got skunked but for the two small sea trout and ladyfish, anyway tomorrow is another day.

Till then, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: