Another Balmy Day On Peacocks Pocket Road

Saturday, August 31, 2013

It was another balmy day on Peacocks Pocket Road this afternoon but I couldn't sit in the house waiting for another thunderstorm.

Instead I decided to try out some new Pro-Cure scents that I picked up on eBay.

When I got down to the river it was windy as hell so I decided to spend some time catching ladyfish around East Gator Creek road.

I loaded up a topwater Chug Bug with some Pro-Cure and started casting into the wind.

I'd like to report that I caught the hell out of the ladyfish but all I got were several followups and two fish. The wind was making a decent presentation almost impossible and I was getting hung too frequently, so I decided to head for a couple of ponds that I fish on a regular basis.

On the way, I stopped to throw a gold spoon at something that was busting baitfish on the bank but the fish had a case of lockjaw.

I passed a couple of fishermen at the pond I planned on fishing but since they were already set up and fishing, I just asked them how they were doing and continued on my way.

One of the guys said he had just caught a small redfish on a dead finger mullet so I became somewhat enthused.

I hadn't seen any sign of reds up to this point. In fact all I spotted were some big mullet jumping in the marsh canal.

I started back fishing a top water Chug Bug in the "ditches" and had a couple of shy hits, but no fish of any substance.

As I was tossing the plug around, a fellow angler and his lady friend stopped to see how I was doing.

He told me about some small tarpon he caught around Bio Lab road but he hadn't seen anything around the Pocket. He told me his name and I said I would mention him in my blog but I forgot it. Sorry my friend, (leave me a comment).

As he slowly drove away in his SUV I began tossing my gold Johnson's Sprite around some grassy islands.

About the third cast I had a hit but missed the fish, whatever it was.

I smeared on some Pro-Cure Inshore Salt Water formula on the spoon and shot the spoon out again at the same spot. This time a nice sea trout nailed the lure about half way to the bank.


I took it's pic above and promptly released the fish to grow into the "gator" category that I love catching.

I caught two more before the weather started getting really ominous.


The wind was causing me too much difficulty casting and when I stepped into an ant hill, it was the last straw.

I packed up my rod and headed back home for some dinner.

There's always tomorrow.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.


0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: