Skunked!

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Well, my wife and I got skunked this afternoon.

I had the annual bad experience of visiting Jackson and Hewitt to get my taxes filed for the year and knew in the depths of my soul that I would probably have a crappy day fishing to augment the crappy day at the tax preparer.

Our one o'clock appointment wasn't through until around 2:30 pm after which Karen and I decided to hit the local Mexican restaurant for a much needed bite to eat .

We paid our bill and stopped by Wild Ocean to pick up some jumbo shrimp for bait, or in the worst circumstance to eat.

In short, we didn't get to the wildlife refuge to fish until around 5 o'clock.

The sky was clear and the temperature was around 80 degrees when we first got on the water but as the afternoon wore on, the temperature dropped past the 70s and the wind picked up enough to make me think about putting on a wrap.

Karen used a jumbo fresh frozen shrimp under a float and I fished topwater plugs, DOA Baitbuster, a gold hammered spoon, a Creme paddle tail bait and even a MirrOlure Catch 2000 Jr. suspended plug with no luck.

We fished two locations which had tons of baitfish activity, but nothing seemed to be interested in anything we were tossing at them.

I saw two large redfish cruising the canal and several nice size sea trout around the baitfish, but the fish were spooky and had a bad case of lockjaw.

I saw several people fishing on the Indian River side of Peacocks Pocket road and one guy tossing a silver spoon while wading.

The guy wading had two sea trout on a stringer that he was dragging around with him, but he had to be a candidate for a case of walking pneumonia with the wind blowing as it was.

There was a lot of visitor traffic in the refuge this afternoon from a variety of states.  Everyone was taking pictures of the pelicans, ducks, egrets and spoonbills.

Since both of my cameras are back in the shop for repairs, the only pics I bothered taking were of the sunset with my "smart phone".

  
Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive; I hate getting skunked but like they say; "That's why they call it fishing and not catching".

Till next time,
Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: