Karens First 29 Inch Redfish Using Artificial Lures

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Karen's first 29 inch redfish using artificial lures was made today in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.

We had a slow start today but my wife and I finally got to wet a line in the marsh this afternoon.

Karen had been having a "dry spell" fishing so I bought her a new spinning rod and reel combo at Bass Pro Shops, loaded it up with 14 Red Lightning Cajun Line, a short length of 20 lb. fluorocarbon and a 3" - Creme Lures Spoiler Shad Swimbait - Chartreuse Bunker -  Softbaits.

I took her out to the swimming pool and gave her a brief lesson on how to fish the lure before we packed Elmo and several rods into the truck.

We headed out to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge around Peacocks Pocket.

The wind was whipping up a storm and it was difficult casting so we passed several of my favorite spots and headed for relatively sheltered areas to begin fishing.

The temperature was in the mid 80s but the wind made it a pleasant afternoon for fishing.

Peacocks Pocket road was crowded this afternoon.

There were wade fishermen in several areas around the south end of the road and bank fishermen drowning finger mullet throughout the area.

Most of the fishermen we saw were not catching anything but everyone seemed to be enjoying the afternoon.

Karen and I stopped at two likely looking spots to give her some practice casting.  Neither of us had a hit so we moved to a calm area in the marsh where I spotted some swirls.

I told Karen how to fish the area and moved off down to road to give her some space.

After a short time Karen hooked on to a nice sized fish.  She was yelling for me to help her so I grabbed my Nikon and headed to where she was fishing.

I got there just as she lost the big fish.

Although she couldn't tell what it was, I'm almost positive it was a large sea trout.

We fished the area until it started getting towards dusk and moved on to another location where I knew there would be redfish cruising the marsh canal.

When we got there, I spotted a nice swirl at the bank and told Karen to shoot a lure close to the area.

Several casts later I spotted a large wake coming down the marsh canal and told Karen to cast in front of where the fish was headed.

She made a flawless cast and after the Creme bait moved only a few feet had a take from a nice redfish.

I saw her hook the fish and headed for the truck to get my Nikon and get some pics.

As you can see from the short video below, the fish put up a respectable fight before I 
got the Boca Grip and landed it for my wife.



The video missed a lot of the battle but you can get the gist of it.

I measured the fish in at 29 inches and took a video clip of her releasing the fish.

The mosquitoes were unusually vicious this evening and Karen was literally bleeding from bites to her legs so we both decided to pack it in for the evening and head for the house and some dinner.

Karen's first 29 inch redfish using artificial lures broke her dry spell and may have changed her opinion of fishing. 

Although I didn't get a fish today, it was great "guiding" her on to her first fish using lures.

The days of fishing fresh dead jumbo shrimp under a Cajun Thunder float may be over.

Until next time, have a good Memorial Day and Tight Lines to you all.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: