It Pays To Fish The Fronts

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Despite the 6 1/2 hour drive that I made today from Columbia, S.C.,  I decided to fish the fronts that were coming through the Central part of the country, primarily around "Tornado Alley".

The hazardous weather conditions that were spawning the tornadoes out west were also having an effect on the Space Coast.

I knew from experience that fishing can be dynamite during these fronts and today's experience was no exception; the fish were moving around and biting savagely when you could cast to them.

I didn't get out to the Indian River lagoon until about 3:30 pm and the weather was balmy to say the least.

The temperature was a pleasant 76 degrees, it was beginning to rain,  and the wind was making it difficult to cast in most of the areas that I was fishing.

I brought four rods today each rigged with different baits.  A top water Heddon Zara Spook, a Tsunami "redfish" paddle tail swim bait, a Johnson's gold spoon and a D.O.A. jerkbait.

The fish were biting on both sides of Peacocks Pocket road but I caught most of my fish today on the marsh side.

The sea trout below was the one exception.  I caught this one on the gold Johnson's spoon near a partially open culvert on the Indian River side.

I noticed a swirl that I thought was a redfish, but when the fish nailed the spoon, it turned out to be a 26" sea trout.

The post spawn female put up a good fight but was gill hooked, so I had to keep it for dinner.

I caught two more trout on the "swamp" side of the road and released both fish to fight another day.

I made at least two dozen stops trying to catch a redfish before coming to one of my "all time" favorite spots.

I spied some finger mullet in a shallow pond area that looked like they were being chased, so I flipped out the paddle tail bait and promptly hooked up with a nice oversize redfish.

The fish made a couple of strong long runs before I could finally ease it to shore.  But as I was bending down to "lip" the red onto the bank, the small hook worked loose and the fish took off to parts unknown.

Undaunted, I kept fishing with the same bait and after a few more casts hooked up with another redfish around the same area.

This go around I took my time and didn't try to horse the fish in.  After a couple of nice runs I managed to grab the redfish by the lip and land it.

I got my pliers out of the truck and was trying to unhook the fish as a fellow photographer drove up to check out the scene.

He introduced himself as Dell Pamplin and as I unhooked the slot redfish, we swapped information.

Since he was also a shutterbug, I asked him if he wouldn't mind taking a picture of me holding the redfish.  And, he readily agreed. The results are below.


When my wife isn't fishing with me, I'm destined to take pictures of my catches on the grass or in the back of the truck.  Boring!

We chatted for a while about the fishing and when I asked him if he wouldn't mind having his picture being put on the website, he agreed.

We talked a bit more as I continued casting to another "swirl" before parting company.

I made several more casts into the same area to likely targets but the fish were stirred up and I only had one more light "tap" before I decided to move on.

It was getting late and as I slowly drove towards Peacocks Pocket boat launch and headed for the exit, I passed a couple of gators sunning themselves on the bank and managed to take a few quick pics of some spoonbills and a blue heron.


When you can tt pays to fish the fronts even when casting to the fish is a challenge.

Till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: