Sunday Fishing On The Indian River Lagoon

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sunday fishing on the Indian River Lagoon for redfish and sea trout is one of my favorite activities.

This past Sunday, the weather was less than perfect. The air temperature was in the high 60s, the wind was blowing steadily and it looked like rain for most of the afternoon.

I left my Elmo and my wife Karen at home, packed a cooler and a few spinning rods into the truck and took off for Catfish Creek hoping to catch some redfish.

I wasn't feeling all that great so I didn't stay out long but I needed to see if the fishing had improved any since Saturday's outing.

There was plenty of vehicle traffic in the area but only a few fellow fishermen actually fishing.

I tried my usual array of artificial baits with only a few hits from some under size sea trout.

 I saw two tailing redfish on the river side but never got a chance to toss a lure to them. I fished both sides of the unimproved road in several areas but never got a solid hookup with a red.

After about a couple hours of fishing, I decided to take some pics and head home early to cook some dinner.

On the way out of the refuge, I spotted a fisherman on the river side fighting what looked like a redfish.

   
I pulled over and took out my camera to take a few pics and get some details to post to the blog.

 After a respectable fight, the guy landed a nice fat 29" redfish.

 I lent him my orange measuring tape so he could document the size of the fish.

 

He said he caught the redfish on live finger mullet and that yesterday (Saturday) he and his buddy caught 5 trout, all over 20", on live finger mullet in the same spot.

With his permission, I took these pics and continued to head out of Peacocks Pocket road.

About a mile from where the two guys caught the redfish, I spotted another fisherman walking down the road carrying a sea trout of about 23".

 He caught the trout on the marsh side of the road in the canal using a white 5" plastic jerkbait.

I didn't bother taking his picture because the camera's battery was out, so I just made a mental note of his catch and headed for the house.

I probably could have caught some sea trout on the marsh side of the road but since I wasn't feeling all that great and was really looking for redfish,  I just called it a day.

The mullet are starting to come into the river in better numbers, so we can expect the fishing to get better, especially for the bigger redfish throughout the rest of this month.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: