Mosquito Lagoon & Indian River Fishing Report For Saturday 1-29-2011

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Mosquito Lagoon & Indian River Fishing Report for Saturday 1-29-2011 is intended for fishermen who prefer to wade or fish from the bank.

Today the Mosquito Lagoon around Bio Lab road was perfect for wade fishermen using light tackle with jerk baits or gold spoons. The water is still crystal clear in most all of the areas and fish can be spotted from the road if you watch the water carefully.

I saw several people wade fishing this afternoon, as well as a couple of kayakers who were fishing the potholes for sea trout and reds that often hang around their edges. I don't know what the guys in the kayaks were catching, but the wade fishermen were doing pretty good with the sea trout.

I prefer fishing the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge roads, so after checking out the fishermen around Bio Lab road, I moved on to the entrance of Peacocks Pocket.

Today there was a lot of traffic on the unimproved road, mostly out of state visitors who were enjoying the weather and the beautiful wildlife.


The rosette spoonbills flocks were in several areas, as were the other more common egrets, herons and smaller shore birds. All were ready to please our out of state bird watchers.

There was a slight breeze on the water that eventually turned into a dead calm around 5:00 p.m. or so.

Without going into too much detail, I spent about two hours fishing both sides of the road and only managed to land a couple of small trout and two "rat" redfish; both of which were just under the slot limit.

I also missed four other nice redfish and three other fish that I believe were sea trout. Most of my fishing was done on the marsh side of the road.

The lures of choice today were a gold "hammered" Bagley spoon and a green DOA jig head with a green 6" Terminator Snapback cyberflexxx jerkbait body.

All of the redfish that I caught or missed was with the gold spoon, and the trout were all caught or missed with the green jerkbait.

After a slow start, I realized that I had been fishing too fast for the water temperature. I slowed down the presentation to a crawl and began catching fish on both baits.

Most of my fishing today was done with the gold spoon, mainly because I was targeting redfish.

I switched to the jerkbait because of the frustration of casting to swirls and not getting any hits with my spoon, but once I slowed down the spoon's retrieve; the redfish magically began to bite.

I "jump fished" only about one quarter of the total length of the road; but what I fished, I fished thoroughly and hard.

I think the reason I enjoy fishing the opposite side of the river so much, is that it resembles the type of trout fishing I grew up with in Pennsylvania's gin clear trout streams.

Anyway, as the awesome sun set over Titusville, I took a few pics of the sunset and headed for home.

It definitely gets chilly without a wrap this time of year when the sun goes down and true to form, I forgot my coat.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so we'll see if the fishing has improved any.

Till then, Tight Lines to all!

Take A Kid Fishing..................

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: