Redfish Anniversary Present

Friday, September 17, 2010

After a 6 1/2 hour drive from Columbia, S.C. my wife and I decided to celebrate our anniversary with a fishing trip to the Indian River lagoon.


We exchanged cards and packed up the minimum amount of equipment so we could get in as much fishing as possible before dark.

As we headed for our fishing spot in the southern part of Shiloh
Marsh drive, we noticed that the Black Point Wildlife Drive was for some reason closed.

The weather was splendid and the scenery was beautiful as usual for this time of year and I really didn't care if I caught any fish or not. I just wanted to get out and enjoy the fresh air and unwind from the drive.

On the way into the drive we didn't see one single person in the area, which suited me just fine.

We dediced to stop at an area that I only fished a couple of times with mixed results, but since there was nobody else in the area, we parked the truck, baited up and started fishing.

Karen wanted to fish one rod with cut bait and another with shrimp, so I cut up some mullet for her and myself and we cast out to different sides of the river.

I caught a couple of nice sized catfish and Karen had something steal her shrimp, which I suspected were probably trout that were chasing bait fish in the area.

The culverts were open and the water was flowing into the Indian River side of the swamp area.

This is usually a recipe for good fishing. The flowing culverts push bait fish and small crabs into the maws of waiting catfish, sea trout, redfish and black drum.

There was little surface activity so I tied on a 3/4 oz. gold Johnson Sprite spoon with a red tag.

After about a dozen casts, I had a savage strike from what I believe was a large snook that was prowling in very shallow water. I missed hooking it and watched it take off like one of the space shuttles.

After several more casts, I hooked on to a heavy fish that sent my reel screaming.

I was using yellow Power Pro line with a 20# fluorocarbon leader which makes a unique sound as the line goes through the rod guides when a fish runs.

I fought the fish for at least 10 minutes before getting it close enough to identify. A few more minutes of fight and a boga grip finally got the bruiser to the photo op I planned for her.

Karen measured the fish in at 32" and after taking a hook from another angler out of her gullet; I revived her and put her back into the river top fight another day.

Like clockwork, the mosquitoes started their blood sucking ritual on Elmo, Karen and myself, so we decided to head to the ranch.

This redfish broke the fishing slump I was in and for me, topped off our wedding anniversary. It was a perfect redfish anniversary present.

I took some pics of the scenery and the beautiful sunset. Hope you enjoy them.


Till next time; Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: