Shiloh Road Opening

Sunday, February 21, 2010

After several months of closure, Shiloh Road has finally opened for vehicle traffic along the northern most portion of the Indian River Lagoon.

The unimproved road is in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is closed by the powers that be during duck hunting season. Although opening day was a couple of days ago, today was a stellar day for viewing the waterfowl and just dunking a bait.

I compiled a short movie showing some of the wildlife my wife and I saw today along with some beautiful scenery.

At the beginning of the road closest to US1, the kayakers were doing their thing in water only around a foot deep. A couple were catching fish, but I couldn't make out what they were.

About a mile into the Refuge, the wildlife officers checked out our fishing licenses and refuge permits.

This is only the second time since I've been a resident of Florida that I've been checked for a valid license. The officer was very courteous and professional as he explained why the road had been closed this long.

When he left, Karen and I started fishing. She used her favorite shrimp bait and I started with white CAL paddle tail baits.

I caught a couple of undersized trout, missed something big that may have been a gator trout and wound up the day with only one keeper of about 17" that I released. My wife didn't get a bite all afternoon using her dead shrimp.

Anyway, this was mainly a scouting trip. We had originally planned to visit our normal fishing spot, but the causeway bridge was closed AGAIN, making us go up US1 past the Scootsmoor boat landing to gain access to the preserve.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because we decided to check out the Shiloh area.

The Fish & Game Officer said the fishing conditions should get better in this area as the water warms up a bit. I suspect by next week if the temperatures hold, we should start getting some decent 30# plus redfish and gator sea trout.


Hope you enjoy the pics and till next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: