Jones Avenue Boat Ramp

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I had visions of getting in a lot of fishing when I got home from Mobile, Al. this week but a severe neck problem put a chink into my plans.

Trying to self medicate with bone spurs and God knows what else is a fools errand, and after a couple of weeks of incessant pain and my wife's urging I finally broke down to see a doctor.

On Tuesday, I had enough of laying in bed with an ice pack on my neck, so I decided to take a ride over to the Jones Avenue boat ramp to see if anything was happening.


This shallow water ramp is for kayaks, canoes, and very shallow draft flats boats but larger vessels can launch with care.

My wife and I used to launch our Ghenoe here and fish the flats just north of the island.  We usually managed to catch some nice sea trout and some very nice redfish.

This afternoon, I didn't bring along a rod and I forgot my camera, but my trusty cell phone got the pics I needed.  I couldn't help but notice  that the same old live on catamaran was still in about the same spot it was a couple of years ago.




A couple was launching their kayaks when I drove up and after talking with them a bit they said they usually had good luck with live shrimp under a float.

The water was flat, the air temperature was in the 90s, and it was almost noon; not a great time to fish the flats, so I didn't feel to bad about being under the weather.

I walked around the shallows and noticed some redfish tailing around the island north towards the railroad bridge and some sea trout occasionally busting on the surface after baitfish.


I made a mental note to fish this area again as soon as possible.

My neck started giving me fits so after a short time, I decided to head to the house and put on another ice pack until my doctors appointment.

Jones Avenue boat ramp is usually underused except for us locals.  It is the quickest way to get to the  railroad bridge and the lush grass flats north of Mims.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: