Saturday Night In Peacocks Pocket

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Saturday night at Peacocks Pocket proved worthwhile for a change!

Except for the fact that NASA closed the exit at the other end of the drive, it was a great evening.

There was a slight chop on the Indian River and almost dead calm in the marsh areas on the other side of the road.

My wife and I got about an hours worth of fishing in before sunset, but it was enough for me to snag a couple of slot sized plus sea trout.

I used only one lure, a black and gold colored Heddon Super Spook, Jr. topwater.



In a spot where my wife usually outfishes me using dead shrimp, I managed to miss several nice sized trout, and caught two that were well over 15".

The one trout jumped clear of the water and hit the topwater plug on the way down before getting itself hooked. See the pic below.



Moving upstream from where my wife was fishing, I started blind casting toward the far bank of the narrow canal.

About 50 yards from where my wife was fishing, I was "walking the dog" with my topwater when a huge redfish of at least 38" busted my Super Spook.

The fish ran upstream and angled toward the bank before it changed direction and started swimming right back towards me.

I was reeling in line as fast as I could, and as the line tightened up again, the fish shook the lure loose and swam down the middle of the canal towards where my wife Karen was fishing.

She saw the fish go by her at about 30 m.p.h. to parts unknown.

Oh well, as they say; that's why they call it fishing and not catching!

The fishing is getting better as the water warms up so until next time, Tight Lines!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: