Walking Peacocks Pocket Road

Monday, February 20, 2017

After trying several times to contact someone in authority at the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, I decided to try walking Peacocks Pocket road to see if it was really as messed up as I had been told.

I put on my shorts and brought along two spinning rods tipped with a DOA Baitbuster and my top water bait of choice, a Chug Bug.

Since I planned on walking at least half way through Peacocks Pocket road, I didn't burden myself with a lot of excess gear.  I put a couple more Baitbusters in my pocket along with another Chug Bug and a weedless Johnsons silver spoon to cover the water column.

I parked at the barrier at the entrance to Catfish Creek Loop and started walking the unimproved road.

I was immediately surprised how low the water levels were in the marsh.




The small ponds I love to fish in the fall and early spring were now dark mud dotted with bird and gator tracks.

The water in the marsh canal along the road was at least two or more feet lower than what is expected for this time of the year.  Either the management people were draining the "swamp", or there was a hell of a lot of evaporation going on.

As I walked along the first stretch, I spotted a couple of sea trout chasing bait fish in the canal and came up on a huge gator sunning itself on the bank. 


 As I was taking it's pic, the gator slithered into the water looking right at me.


I took a short video and moved on up the road looking for signs of fish.


About a mile up the road, past areas where there used to be good ponds to fish, I finally spotted an oversize redfish busting baitfish along the bank.

I fired the DOA Baitbuster to it but the fish spooked and continued up the canal.

All along the walk, I took pics of the areas where I used to catch some very nice fish but today, things had changed.

The fish were all concentrated in the deeper areas of the canal, but they were super spooky.

I managed to catch a couple of sea trout that were right on the slot and I spooked a couple more oversize redfish before deciding to turn around.  It was getting late and I didn't want to kill myself walking back to the truck before dusk.


Although I had walked at least half way up Peacocks Pocket Road, I still didn't come across any areas that would have prevented the normal flow of vehicle traffic.

I spotted a ton of wildlife that included gators, pelicans, roseatte spoonbills, a variety of herons and even a couple of wood storks but the best part of the journey was the complete absence of vehicle traffic.

I was literally the only human being walking the area and it was wonderful.

On the way back to the truck, I jumped a small group of drum that were pushing water down the canal and as I got to the truck, I was treated to a nice sunset.


I plan to be walking Peacocks Pocket road again this week from the other entrance to see exactly where all the damage to the road is.

Till my next report, Tight Lines.

3 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!:

evad said...

Hi John -
Don't know if you've been able to get anymore info regarding the road reopening, but if not, here's the answer my wife received in a Facebook Messenger exchange someone monitoring the MINWR Facebook page:
Q: "Is there any additional info as to when Peacock's Pocket road may reopen?"
A: "Sorry, but we do not have a timetable for reopening the Refuge roads. We have not as of yet received any funds to help us with the repairs to damage caused by Hurricane Matthew. Without storm recovery money, it will take many months before we can make any repairs."

Also just want to say thanks for the time you put in authoring the blog - I always look forward to reading your reports.

- Dave Holbrook
(AKA: Guy in Chevy Silverado Blackout edition)


John Neila said...

Thanks Dave,

I have been trying to contact Tom Penn (at 321-861-2288) one of the MINWR management people but we keep playing phone tag.

I want to know what we (local fishermen) can do to exert some pressure to get the funding appropriated for Peacocks Pocket road and all the others that have been closed for repairs.

What the heck are they doing with the money? I see piles of aggregate to the right, on the road going into the boat launch that they apparently use for road repairs; why aren't they using that?

I'd be happy to include my labor for free. I'd like to believe that if more people started calling them about the closures, somebody would begin to take notice.

Right now, I don't think they give a damn.

John

John Neila said...

Dave,
Just to follow up on my previous comment.

I finally contacted Tom Penn to address my concerns about the opening of Peacocks Pocket Road and the other dike roads in the refuge. He was extremely helpful and forthcoming about the problems they are having.

He told me that they closed Pocket road because of safety reasons. Although the road is passable, it is washed out in three areas close to the edge.

I asked him why it had not been repaired since Oct. or Nov. and was told it was because of manpower and funding problems. Apparently, the Fish and Wildlife people get their funding from the Dept. of Interior, and they are low on the totem for appropriations.

On Sunday, my wife and I saw literally tons of rocks and road fill, along with the equipment needed to repair the road, along Peacocks Pocket road leading to the kayak launch.

Tom told me they do not have the equipment operators they need to do the work or the money to contract the job out.

I suggested that some of my readers could do the work pro bono or for a minimal fee of $1.00, but Tom said the "powers that be" would probably not go along with the idea.

Personally, I would do the work for free just so we could fish the area again.

I also asked why Shiloh Road, Long pond road, Pumphouse road, and the others that have been gradually closed have not yet been reopened.

He told me that it was funding problems, and that the dike roads were never intended to be for vehicle traffic.

I find that hard to believe since I have been living here for over 25 years, and have fished all those roads by truck at one time or another.

In any event, Tom said that they would probably have Peacocks Pocket road re-opened in two to three months.

At the pace they do things around here, I may be dead before they re-open the areas. We can only hope.

Tight Lines