Indian River Reds

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Fishing for Indian River Reds is usually on fire in November but this afternoon the bite left a lot to be desired.

I decided to hit the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge this afternoon to wet a line and see if I could scrounge up a redfish or two, but the fish weren't cooperating.

The weather was beautiful and the water levels in the dikes was up.  Most of the culverts were open and water was flowing through them but the fish were just not biting.

When I drove into East Gator Creek road, the air temperature was 79 degrees and there was virtually no wind over the water.


I briefly stopped to fish the first culvert when I spotted a wake in the shallows that looked like a redfish.  I tied on a DOA Baitbuster and flipped several casts into the area but didn't get any hookups.

After fan casting the water on both sides of the road, I moved up to see if Peacocks Pocket Road was open yet.  I've been out of town in Mobile, Al and was hoping they repaired Pocket Road so I could try some of the ponds.

When I got there I was disappointed to see that the area was still closed.


I drove around Catfish Creek Loop and spotted a couple of wakes that were definitely redfish but after making several casts to them with the Baitbuster and a Live Target shrimp I had on another rod, I never got a hit.

There were plenty of people fishing, checking out the gators, and the waterfowl in the area, but nobody I spoke with caught anything but stingrays.

I took several pics of the area and of the water fowl before leaving the area.











 
When I hit the main road, I decided to swing toward the beach.  As I got to the intersection of the Cape, I spotted a flock of wild turkey off the side of the road.

They were too busy eating to pay any attention to me, so I took a couple of pics before heading home.

As I was leaving the flock of turkeys, I remembered that Thanksgiving Day is next week.
Hummmm.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: