Why The Mosquito Lagoon Got Its Name

Friday, August 12, 2011

Now I understand why the Mosquito Lagoon got it's name.

Because of the mosquitoes, I didn't get much fishing in on Friday even though I did give it a half hearted attempt.

When I got home from work Friday evening, my wife didn't feel like wetting a line in the blistering heat so I took Elmo our wonder dog with me to see if anything was biting in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Preserve.

It was late in the afternoon so I headed for Gator Creek road first to check out the water levels.

The water levels in the swamp areas were up, probably due to thunderstorm activity in the late afternoons this past week.

There were a lot of fishermen parked in various locations throughout the area but no one was catching. Everyone was just fishing.

The cutting crews had mowed some time this past week and the mosquitoes were deadly.

Poor Elmo wouldn't leave the safety of the truck and I had the windows closed to keep the mosquitoes out.

I left the confines of the truck two times to make halfhearted casts to a couple of oversize redfish I saw attacking baitfish in the shallows, right on the bank.

Both fish didn't care for the D.O.A. shrimp I offered them.

I saw a lot of sea trout activity but didn't even bother casting to them because of the hordes of mosquitoes.

I took a few of pics of the scenery but unfortunately today I couldn't come up with any pictures of fish.

I'm not sure if the full moon had anything to do with the fishing but it was definitely full as we left the preserve.

Today, Elmo and I should have taken my wife's advise and stayed at home.

Anyway, I'm hoping to try out Playalinda Beach tomorrow for some bluefish that are supposedly hitting in the surf.

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: