Skunked

Sunday, July 31, 2011

My wife and I decided to try Peacocks Pocket road Saturday evening to see if we could rustle up a few sea trout or a redfish and we both got skunked!

I guess it was overdue. We have been catching instead of fishing on every outing ever since I can remember, but this evening was unbelievable. We both couldn't hold our mouths right.

I netted some small ladyfish and a couple of large finger mullet for bait at the entrance to Peacocks Pocket road before proceeding to a couple of spots we regularly fish.

Karen baited up with a small 6" ladyfish and I started flipping damn near every lure I had with me in the truck.

I had a couple of hits on a small gold Johnson's spoon from small trout and one half hearted topwater hit on a chartreuse colored Chug Bug, but other than those two hits my artificial lures were not attracting any attention.

We moved several times and finally settled on a spot about half way through the road near a culvert and small backwater pond where I hoped we could pick up a redfish before dark.

I baited up with one of the large finger mullet while Karen put on another smaller sized ladyfish on a Cajun Thunder rig.

There was a lot of activity in the water. Fish were being chased all over the place but the bite just wasn't there.

Karen missed three bites and lost all three ladyfish and I finally lost my finger mullet to a redfish that was cruising down the canal. I saw it's wake as it was swimming towards the mullet and as it hit, I tried to set the hook too quickly and lost the bait.

I guess I'm not much of a live bait fisherman.

The scenery was beautiful despite the fact that the temperature was hovering in the low 90s, but it was the mosquitoes that finally ran us out of the preserve.

Poor Elmo wouldn't come out of the truck because of the skeeters.




Anyway, here are some pics of the area sans fish this time around.

That's why they call it fishing folks!

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: