Fishing The Cold Fronts

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Late Saturday afternoon I tried to get my wife to go fishing with me, but after the crappy luck she had on Friday, she opted to finish a stained glass project she had been working on instead.

Undaunted, I packed up three of my spinning rods each strung with different lures and took off to the river.

I normally do this so I can quickly cast to foraging fish when I get lucky enough to spot them.

Anyway, it was a bleak day on the Indian River Lagoon and a thick layer of fog covered the water. A cold front was moving in and the birds were obviously aware of it. (See the video below.)


As I crossed the bridge and headed towards the entrance to Peacocks Pocket road, tons of seagulls, ducks and pelicans were sitting on the water all huddled together in the main body of the river in anticipation of the front.


The water was dead calm on both sides of the unimproved road as I started jump fishing in several areas.

I missed a nice sea trout on my fourth cast into the marsh canal with my Johnson gold spoon, so I switched to the green DOA jig head with a Strike King 3X jerk bait that had produced yesterday evening.

After two casts I hooked and landed a nice 20" sea trout that after a short fight, I promptly released.

Another 20 yards down the road I had another sea trout that was a clone to the first one I caught. This one put up a better fight and after taking another picture of it, I put it back to grow up.

As I continued jump fishing the glassy calm water, I hooked and released four more sea trout from 20" to 23" and missed two more fish that I'm sure were trout.

I had been hoping for a redfish but the water was so calm the fish were super spooky.

Nonetheless, after spotting a feeding redfish on the Indian River side of the road, (See the video) I shot a well placed cast and hooked up to it using the rod with my Johnson gold spoon. After a brief run, the fish shook off the spoon in the very shallow water right at the bank.



It was getting late and I was becoming the object of affection of thousands of female mosquitoes so I decided to call it a day without a redfish for the dinner table.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be the day.

Tight Lines to you all.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: