Scouting Trip

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Finally took the "boys" on a scouting trip around East Gator Creek road to see if anything was happening on the bank fishing front.

The first entrance is still barricaded, but East Gator Creek road is open up to Peacocks Pocket road which is closed seasonally to vehicle traffic from Nov. 1 to Feb. 15th, and Catfish Creek Loop which is still apparently closed because of hurricane damage.






When I turned into East Gator Creek with Elmo and Odie hanging out the window, the air temperature was in the low 70s and there was a mild breeze blowing across the shallow flats.

I drove slowly looking for some topwater action, but nothing was happening, even towards dusk.

I tossed my favorite Chug Bug around a couple of areas where I caught fish in the past, but nothing was interested in the bait this evening.

As we drove around the area, I was surprised to see that the road was nicely mowed for vehicle traffic.  Too bad they couldn't repair Peacocks Pocket with the same funds.

Anyway, it was late in the afternon when we finally made our way up to the barricaded roads,  other than one family who was fishing the culverts, nobody was in the area.

On the way out, I spotted several pods of mullet meandering within casting distance from the road but I didn't bother pitching a bait around them.

Hopefully, after Thanksgiving, I'll be able to wet a line in the area.  There are definitely fish in the area, but the Chug Bug apparently wasn't the best choice.

I'll probably be dunking a finger mullet just like the other guys in the area.

As we drove over the bridge, I decided to make a quick run past the fishing piers.  I was surprised to see that they were closed down by the local government.  Although I didn't see any damage to the piers, I assume that the hurricane was the cause.

I wonder what the local shrimpers are going this time of the year.   I'm definitely going to do some research on it to find out why it has been closed off.

Without a boat, kayak, or canoe; it's getting tough to do any bank fishing in this area.

Too bad, the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge used to be one of the best areas in East Central Florida to fish and observe waterfowl, but apparently those days are gone.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: