Sea Trout Bite Best When It Rains

Monday, August 8, 2011

Apparently the sea trout bite best when it rains during the summer months.

It was about 6:30 p.m. before my wife and I decided to get out of the house and escape the depressing news about our economy.

Fishing keeps down ulcers and clears the mind. Or so they say.

Anyway, we left the house and headed to the Indian River for some sea trout fishing.

After netting a few small ladyfish for Karen to use for bait, we proceeded to one of our favorite spots.

Karen impaled her bait on a 4/0 hook under a Cajun Thunder bobber and I decided to use paddle tail swim baits and DOA shrimp to see what I could roil up.

Karen got the first and largest fish of the day. A nice fat 20" sea trout on the ladyfish.

I unhooked the fish fully intending to release it, but it was gut hooked, bleeding badly and I couldn't get it to revive in the almost hot water of the marsh canal.

I took a pic of the fish and continued with my fishing up from where my wife was fishing.

The Creme paddle tail swim bait that I initially used wasn't producing any bites so I changed to a glow white DOA shrimp.

Thunderstorms were moving through the area and what has become the norm during this time of the year, the sea trout started to get more active and bite.

I hooked a twin to Karen's fish and released it without taking a picture. The water temperature today didn't allow for photographs if you wanted to release fish alive.

In about an hour I managed to land two more nice trout and missed about the same number before the mosquitoes started to get unbearable.

The grass around the road hadn't been cut in a while and the mosquitoes were literally everywhere.

Elmo, our perfect "wonder dog" was being tormented and wouldn't leave the confines of the truck .

It rained a bit and after it cleared up the fish stopped biting so we decided to leave the area and head for home.

I took these pics of the scenery you might enjoy.




I'm not sure why the sea trout bite best when it rains, but every time we fish before and during a rainstorm we get some great action.

Till next time, Tight Lines, hang on to your money and go fishing to clear your head.

The stock market is going to tank tomorrow!

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: