Shiloh Marsh Road Fishing

Monday, July 18, 2011

My neighbor told me that since the water levels in the marsh areas have come up, fishing for sea trout and reds has picked up considerably around Shiloh Marsh road.

This past weekend was pretty much a bust for my wife and I as far as fishing was concerned.

The areas we normally fish were closed because of the wildfires in the area and instead of taking our Maverick flats boat out on Saturday as I had planned, I wound up doing a bunch of yard work instead.

Late Sunday afternoon, despite the windy conditions, Karen and I decided to take the long drive around Shiloh Marsh road and scout out the area.

The wind was blowing in strong from the northeast pushing the water in the Indian River lagoon towards the west bank.

Water levels in the marsh area were up considerably since the last time we drove through the area and fish were chasing finger mullet all over the place.

I spotted several nice size sea trout and a couple of large redfish that were well over the slot limit but the wind made casting to them almost impossible.

Although had I brought a light casting rod loaded with a DOA CAL and a spinning rod with a Chug Bug, I didn't bother casting much. The mosquitoes were vicious.

Because of the direction of the wind, the water levels on the Indian River side of the road was only inches deep throughout most of the drive.

A few areas like the one in the video below were fishable but except for the few places where I tried making a cast to a feeding fish, we never did any serious fishing.



When we drove through the area, almost no one was fishing.

About half way into the drive, two barefoot kids asked us if we could give them a jump and a lift back to their truck where they had a dead battery.

Since I had battery cables, I loaded the kids into the truck bed and drove at least 3 miles along the pot holed road back to the northern entrance of Shiloh Road where they left their ride.

A wrecker they called had gotten there first, so we left them with their friends and headed home.
Let's hear it for Herb Daniels!

Shiloh Marsh road is no place to have car trouble, especially with no one around.

Those kids were badly sun burned and must have lost a pint of blood each to the mosquitoes.

Anyway, with any kind of luck the fishing conditions next weekend should get better.

Till then, tight lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: