Fishing Peacocks Pocket Road

Friday, July 1, 2011

Fishing Peacocks Pocket road is becoming a habit for me and my wife.

Every Friday evening after I return home from work I'm usually jonesing to go fishing and the closest place is the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge around Peacocks Pocket road.

The thunderstorms this afternoon died down at about 5:30 p.m. so we packed up a few rods, netted some bait and headed for a couple of our favorite spots.

Our first stop netted me a couple slot sized sea trout. One was caught on a live finger mullet and the other on a CAL DOA white paddle tail bait fished just off the bottom.



The water was almost dead calm this afternoon and longer casts generated more hits than the usual lobs I use when fishing this area.

There were plenty of finger mullet in the marsh side of the road and because of last weeks incessant rains, the water levels were up a bit from where they were last week.

Karen was fishing live finger mullet for a change and when we were almost out of bait changed over to 6" live ladyfish.

At our second stop, Karen missed a nice redfish that ate her finger mullet and pulled off.

Several minutes later she hooked this nice slot size 20" sea trout on a free lined ladyfish, which she promptly released.



At our second stop I missed a nice redfish and landed another slot size sea trout that I also released.

A couple stopped to talk to me about the fishing and the bird life in the area and while I was talking to them, I didn't realize I was standing on an anthill.



As they left, I started feeling real pain in my leg all the way up to my crotch as the angry ants chewed away at me. I got rid of my sneakers and swatted away the ants but I was in real agony for awhile.

It was getting late but we continued to fish even though I was feeling miserable from the ant bites and just as I was ready to ask Karen to call it a day, she missed another redfish on a live ladyfish.

We finally decided to give it up and come back tomorrow for another try.

As we were leaving, I stopped to talk to the only other fisherman we saw in the preserve. I noticed him casting a CAL type jerkbait up the road from where we were fishing and decided to ask if he had any luck.

He told me he caught three sea trout and two smaller redfish which he released. I didn't get his name but I did give him the name of this website.

Jokingly, he asked me if I wanted to by his flats boat. He said he didn't need it with the fishing as good as it was in this area.

I told him that I have a Maverick I seldom use, for exactly the same reason.

One this is for sure, fishing Peacocks Pocket road is getting better if you know how to fish it and hit it at the right time.



I'll never get over the beautiful sunsets.

Till next time,

Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: