Shiloh Marsh Road Water Levels Are Dangerously Low

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Because of severe thunderstorm activity in the Central Florida area yesterday, my wife and I never got a chance to get out and wet a line.

This afternoon we decided to see what the water levels looked like around Shiloh Marsh Road in the Indian River.

I was hoping for a chance at a tarpon but would be happy with anything I could catch.

There is a meandering narrow creek at the uppermost part of the Indian River where tarpon occasionally inhabit and where fishermen almost never bother fishing. So, that was the first place we hit.

There was a lot of activity all along the creek but no tarpon. For the most part there were large sea trout chasing finger mullet in the shallows right up onto the bank.

I spotted a couple of slot size redfish, but never could get a lure close enough to attract a bite.

It was late in the afternoon and the temperature hovered in the high 80s. There was a brisk wind that was blowing water in the lagoon northward.

As we moved south on Shiloh Marsh Road, the water levels on the marsh side of the road were dangerously low.



Areas where we previously caught redfish, sea trout and sometimes small tarpon are now completely dried up.



One area I particularly liked to fish was dotted with dead horseshoe crabs and the odor reminded me of a Savannah crab shack.

I took some pics and we continued to scout the road looking for some fish activity.

At one stop I netted a few juvenile lady fish and a couple of mullet for bait. There were schools of bait fish moving close to shore but very few fish were chasing them.

One of the spots that we planned to fish was already taken by several wade fishermen who were casting live finger mullet.



Another good spot where we sometimes fish for bull reds was also taken by a couple of wade fishermen who even had their cooler on the water.



Our last stop turned out to be around a culvert where Karen usually catches some fish.

I tried several lures and managed to miss a couple of sea trout with a white Terror Eye D.O.A. Everything else I tossed at the fish was a waste of time.

Karen missed a couple of fish using dead shrimp but finally changed over to a 6 " live finger mullet.

Fishing today was slow and difficult due to the windy conditions but just as we were preparing to leave the area, Karen picked up a slot size sea trout shown here.

I was planning to release the fish but it was gill hooked so I decided to put it on the dinner table instead.

Hopefully, I'll get my Maverick out of the shop tomorrow so we can get into deeper water at the edges of the flats.

One of my guide friends tell me that the trout are still hitting well in the early mornings and just at dusk.



During the full moon nights, fishing is also very productive using top water plugs like Mirror Lures, Chug Bugs or Skitter Walks.

Till next time, Tight Lines.

0 Please SUBMIT YOUR COMMENTS HERE!: